Rebate ... what does it mean ?

Kevin T. Broderick kbroderick at smcvt.edu
Wed Jun 22 10:30:08 EDT 2005

On 21 Jun 2005, at 1:47 PM, Kevin T. Broderick wrote:
[CHOMP] on my prior email regarding rebates vs. expenses and debits
vs. credits

Well, after someone was kind enough to point out off-list that I've
got "debit" vs. "credit" reversed, I'd like to point out for the
benefit of the list (and the archives) that my prior email generally
makes sense if you replace every instance of "debit" with "credit"
and every instance of "credit" with "debit."  Debits, which appear in
the left column, increase the balance in an account; credits, which
appear in the right column, decrease it.

(reference in the manual, scroll down to "Accounting Terminology")
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/
basics_entry1.html#basics_dbentry2

Kevin Broderick / kbroderick at smcvt.edu