1.8.11 breaks QIF importing for me? QIF Import: Name conflicts with another account

Andrew Mitchell gnucash at andrewmitchell.id.au
Tue Jun 21 20:43:53 EDT 2005

Hi, I've recently upgraded to fedora Core 4... and am now using the
latest gnucash. Unfortunately QIF importing from both of my banks has
been broken in the process.

When I try to import a QIF file everything seems to go fine until the
actual import happens right at the very end.
(i.e. it successfully identifies which accounts the transactions map to,
finds duplicate transactions excetera)
but, when it does import everything, it duplicates all the relevant
accounts!
e.g. instead of the transactions going into ANZ (the name of the
account), it instead makes a new account called "ANZ 2" with description
"QIF Import: Name conflicts with another account"
even the unspecified transactions go into a new account called
"Unspecified 2" with description "QIF Import: Name conflicts with
another account.

I presume that this is not happening to everyone else... so what am I
doing wrong? Why can't it just put the transactions into the accounts I
already have rather than making new accounts?

During my upgrade I had some problems with my .gnome directory and had
to go back to a backup of this that was a week old... would this have
contributed?

thanks,
Andrew.