when a single transaction's full amount belongs to multiple accounts

Terrence Brannon bauhaus at metaperl.com
Wed Jun 22 17:53:11 EDT 2005

I read about Split Transactions in section 4.2.2 of the Gnucash
guide. However, I have asituation that is different from that.

Let's say I buy a chess book. I created the "Common Accounts" set of
accounts when starting, so I have both Entertainment:Recreation as
well as a Books category.

Logically, a chess book is both: the chess aspect is
Entertainment:Recreation and the  book aspect is Books. So, instead of
the dollar amount being split between these accounts, in a sense the
entire amount spent for the book belongs to both accounts.

What would you do in this case?