Question about loan opening balances

Alan Munter munter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 20:31:13 EDT 2005

Since my last question was answered so well, I thought I would ask a
quick one about how to set up a preexisting education loan in gnucash
when switching to it partway through the loan.  I initially took the
current balance from Equity:Opening Balances, but it seems like it's
better to save that for things like credit card and checking account
starting balances.  Is there a better way to set up the current
balance?  I am trying to think of a way to take the current balance
from something like Expenses:Education or something like that, but I
spent that money years ago.

So what's the proper way to set up accounts for tracking an education
loan?  Equity:Opening Balances?

Thanks again