GNU Cash miscalculating Mutual Fund numbers in calculations

Jason Ahrens jason.ahrens at rogers.com
Mon Mar 7 23:21:22 EST 2005

I've come across what seems to be a real weird GNUCash issue. I can't seem to
find anything wrong in my work...

Following the suggestion in
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2005-January/012513.html for
dealing with Canadian Mutual Funds and RRSPs, I was going through when I
noticed the numbers stopped making sense.

Upon investigation, I see that my initial data loads for the mutual funds from
my Equity:Starting Balances account are all showing 0, however if investigate
the individual accounts under my RRSP branch, they all show buys for the
proper amount. I am not sure if this is expected behaviour, but is not where
the main problem lies.

Really troubling is that, though the three funds in question show buys for the
proper amount, GNUCash does not calculate the value correctly when it shows
it to me on the top level RRSP (and higher) account. I checked the price in
Price Editor to make sure they were all right, and they are. The value that
is missing is not the value of any single account, so it is not that GNUCash
is forgetting to add one of the Mutual Funds to the RRSP branch calculation
(a problem I had earlier tonight, shortly before GNUCash crashed hard because
of a Guile segfault).

I'm using GNUCash 1.8.10.

The relevant account branches are:
Assets   (Asset CAD)
  RRSP  (Asset CAD)
    Aim  (Asset CAD)
      Fund 1  (Mutual Fund)
      Fund 2  (Mutual Fund)
      Fund 3  (Mutual Fund)
Equity
  Starting Balances (Equity CAD)

Each Mutual Fund has it's own Comodity defined in the Comodity editor. Each
comodity has the price set in the Price Editor. The number calculated on the
Aim line does not match the value of the three accounts. And, again, the
Starting Balances account shows no increase or decrease for these three
accounts.

I tried creating a totally new file putting only the above structure in it,
along with the Price and Comodity settings. Again, the numbers did not add up
correctly, though they did add to a different number than what was in the
original file.

Is there anything I should look for that I might have done wrong? I've tried
deleting and recreating the accounts, checked and rechecked the Price Editor,
and all the numbers that I entered and everything is fine.

I saved the sample file where things were not working right, if anyone wants
to have a look at it. Have I hit some bug in 1.8.10, or is there another
answer?

Thanks

Jason
--
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we
 leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we