changing iso code?

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Tue Mar 8 09:57:56 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 14:19 +0300, wild madagascar wrote:

> Since the beginning of the year our government, Madagascar, has decided to move
> our currency from Malagasy Franc MGF to Ariary MGA. If MGF had no decimal MGA on
> the other hand does have. Gnucash does not have MGA yet, unless it is on version
> 1.8.11??? Can anybody tell me how to include the new iso code for MGA if possible?

Only one of the three ISO4217 sources listed in google mentions the
Madagascar Ariary, and it appears to be incomplete/incorrect since it
calls it the ariayry (which I assume is a typo).

The currency information is compiled into gnucash so its not easy for a
user to change on the fly.  I can update the tables so the next version
of gnucash will contain the MGA, but I need more information about your
currency.  Is there a fractional unit for the Ariary such as the
centime, and if so, what percentage of an ariary is it.  Also, what's
the smallest denomination used.  One Ariary? (One centime?)

David