How to create an opening balance?

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Thu Mar 10 01:38:20 EST 2005

We keep a separate set of accounts for each financial year but I've run
into a problem with creating a fresh set of accounts with a pre-existing
bank balance. After exporting the account tree structure into the new
year's accounts, I want to carry forward the money left in the bank from
the previous year. If I enter this manually, gnucash naturally complains
that the account is unbalanced, as accounting principles mean the money
has to come from somewhere.

I note that equity accounts have a facility to create an opening balance -
should I just create an Equity:BroughtForward account and put last year's
bank balance into that when I start the new accounts?

Andy