Account Summary and Balance Sheet

Ernst Arnold ernst at hisplace.net
Wed Mar 9 22:44:35 EST 2005

Hi,
This is about Gnucash 1.8.11 on Fedora Core 3.

I am new to gnucash and I know only a little bit of accounting. As far as I
understand the balance sheet (BS) is the single most important piece of
information that the accounts can produce. It is based on the account summary
(AS), which is simpler to understand.

In a correct AS the overall sum must be 0 if there are no unbalanced
transactions. I have a gnucash file that does not satisfy that condition!
on 1/7/03: sum(AS)=0
on 2/7/03: sum(AS)=-2
But if I add up the sums in the AS by hand I get 0!!
>From the gnucash help:"... is known as the Accounting Equation:
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)"
That is:
Assets - Liabilities - Equity - Income + Expenses = 0
Gnucash AS seems to report as Total:
Assets - Liabilities - Equity
which does not give me an indication whether things are balanced.
What is the meaning of: Assets - Liabilities - Equity?
Assets - Liabilities - Equity = Income - Expenses
Wouldn't that be better reported in the profit loss report?

Maybe the Label "Total" in the AS did mislead me, it is the "Total of only the
income and expense accounts".
So my suspicion that the AS was incorrect proves to be unfounded.

But then 30/6/04: sum(AS) = 329.31 although expense and income are 0 !
So there is one more problem with the AS. First guess: the equity is wrong,
because asset and liability are easy to understand. (the file has only one
single currency, but there are shares and bonds. I have reduced the original
multi-currency file by eliminating all foreign currency accounts and by
balancing currency transfers against the owners equity. I did this in the
hope that it was a currency problem which would disappear. Alas it didn't)

Is it possible to conclude that the 329.31 are due to variations in commodity
prices? Then the 329.31 would be unrealised capital gain/loss.

What does the BS say about that?
On the BS report the Equity includes (Income - Expenses)
therefore here the accounting equation is Assets = Liabilities + Equity
The AS did prove that this gnucash file does not fullfill this equation.
Consequently the balance sheet is out of balance by the same amount.
There is a row titled unrealised capital gain/loss in the BS. How is that
calculated?
Why is it not used in this case to balance the equation?

Another question about the BS: why is there a date range in the title? The BS
is a snapshot at one point in time and there can be only one date of the
snapshot.

Generally I like Gnucash very much. I think the accounts tree is much more in
line with accounting practices than the categories in Quicken. The account
tab alone gives quite a lot of information. Adhering to the theroy of double
entry accounting is a great help to me. It would be nice if I could
understand the mentioned peculiarities of Gnucash to give me more confidence
in the reports.
Best Regards
Ernst