Council Tax

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 14:46:51 EST 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 12:29 am, Tom Haskins-Vaughan wrote:
> But surely it's only a monthly payment if you pay monthly by direct
> debit. You are liable for the full amount whether you pay a lump sum or
> monthly.

Annual or monthly, it's still an expense. How do you record your car tax? Your
Income Tax? You don't owe income tax until you receive income. You aren't
borrowing money from the government and then having to pay it back.

You are not liable for the full payment under any and all circumstances - your
estate is not billed for council tax when you die! Your true liabilities will
be deducted from your estate - your loans, credit agreements and mortgage.

When someone dies, their liability for Council Tax ceases at the time of
death. Their liability for their credit card balances, mortgage and any bank
loans does NOT cease - it is transferred to their estate. Now if the tax is
unpaid, then arrears can be collected, as with income tax and VAT, but if you
are fully paid up (whether monthly or annually), you may get a refund to your
estate. Note that these are arrears - when you are in arrears with any agreed
expenditure, those arrears (but only the amount of the arrears) ARE a
liability, independent of the nature of the expense itself.

You spend money on Council Tax as you use the services of the council. You are
paying a tax that contributes to the costs of lighting, police, waste, etc.
etc. If you choose to pay annually, you are just giving the council the
privilege of earning interest on your money when it could be earning interest
for you! Provided there is no credit charge for monthly payments, it is
always advisable to pay monthly. Few people receive their entire annual
income as one payment.

The crucial point comes down the refund during the life of the payment. The
payment covers 12 months. If circumstances change, you can get a refund. This
means you are paying for a service as you consume. It's a pay-as-you-go
tariff. Whether you pay annually or monthly, you are paying for ongoing
services.

> Therefore, you incur a liability on the first of April each
> year. If you move house, you will be given a refund. That's how I'm
> seeing it.

So it's an expense. You spend out money and if things change, you can (in
certain circumstances) get a partial refund.

> Mike wrote:
> > --- Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> wrote:
> >>I do not think of Liability as you do.

Think of liability as if you were the Executor of the estate. What MUST the
estate pay AFTER death. That is a liability. If the item ceases to be payable
after death (barring arrears), then it is an expense - a charge during life.

Liabilities are with you (your estate) beyond the grave.
Expenses stop at the crematorium gate!

> >>For me, it is a known expense (e.g., for merchandise received, or
> >> services rendered) that need not be paid all at once in the near future
> >> (so is not accounts payable). An insurance bill that you may elect to
> >> pay all at once, but have the option to pay quarterly, might be a
> >> liability.

If you sell the insured item during the life of the policy, the element of
future payments that is NOT eligible for a refund is a credit charge (APR)
and just another expense. The element that is refunded is also an expense.

> >> You could argue that that is money you borrowed, but I would
> >> not.

I wouldn't either, you haven't borrowed any money from the Council to have to
pay it back. You have no Council Tax Debt until you are in arrears.

> > But I can always move out of my home or cancel my insurance. That still
> > leaves it as a fixed monthly expense in my books. Having lived in other
> > countries, I've found it's a UK peculiarity to make insurance and council
> > tax conceptually a 'yearly' thing, even though it still remains a monthly
> > payment. Cheers

It does make more sense as a monthly thing. It's an ongoing expense, it is of
indefinite duration, it is modifiable and conditional on circumstance.
Whether or not the particular item is mandatory under law, the item itself is
still an expense.

--

Neil Williams