Suse linux install failure

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 15 00:29:40 EST 2005

Folks,

Since a copy of Suse Linux 9.2 professional was included on the cover
DVD of Australian Personal Computer recently, I thought that I would
install it on my test machine, which I did.  While I was at it I thought
that I would take a look at gnucash 1.11, which is so far not available
via portage for my gentoo system.  Going to the gnucash web site I found
that there were packages for redhat, debian and maybe a couple of other
distributions, but not one for suse 9.2, so I downloaded the source package.

Oops, no development environment.  I installed gcc and dependencies from
the dvd.  This time configure proceeded for a while, but fell over
claiming it couldn't find glib.  It was actually looking for
glib-config, and sure enough when I went looking, that script file
wasn't present.  According to the novell/suse website, it was supposed
to be in glib-devel, but that was installed.  I tried uninstalling it,
and reinstalling it.  I tried downloading the devel package from a
mirror. I tried logging in as root (well, you never know...).  I tried
copying glib-config across from my gentoo machine, but I don't know
enough to be able to modify it successfully for the different environment.

In some annoyance, I downloaded and tried installing the redhat rpm, but
of course that didn't work, it claimed all sorts of dependency problems,
despite the fact that I already had gnucash 1.8 set up.  Clearly the rpm
wasn't looking in the right places because the suse filesystem is a bit
different, or something.

Before I try getting some help out of Novell, has anyone else come
across this problem, and is there a "simple" fix for it?  I found some
info on the net that suggested that this was a gtk+/gtk 2.0
incompatibility. I should also mention that the configure script reports
that aclocal, autoconf and automake are "missing".  I looked in YaST,
but they weren't available to install, and I'm a bit reluctant to spend
even more time downloading other packages that will have further
dependencies that will lead to the need to download further packages...

Derrick Ashby