Suse linux install failure

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 05:02:46 EST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 5:29 am, Derrick Ashby wrote:
> install it on my test machine, which I did.  While I was at it I thought
> that I would take a look at gnucash 1.11,

1.8.11? The latest gnucash tarball I can find on the Australia link from
GnuCash downloads is 1.8.8, 18/11/2003. The USA site does have a 1.8.11,
dated 6th Feb 2005.

1.1.11 is 1998!!

Just what - precisely - did you download?

> which is so far not available
> via portage for my gentoo system.  Going to the gnucash web site I found
> that there were packages for redhat, debian and maybe a couple of other
> distributions, but not one for suse 9.2, so I downloaded the source
> package.

Yes, but the missing digit is very important: 1.x.11 - ?

> Oops, no development environment.  I installed gcc and dependencies from
> the dvd.

Looks like you missed gtk+2-devel glib2-devel
http://mail.nl.linux.org/xchat-discuss/2002-12/msg00068.html

> This time configure proceeded for a while, but fell over
> claiming it couldn't find glib.  It was actually looking for
> glib-config, and sure enough when I went looking, that script file
> wasn't present.

Where did you look?

Do you have:
/usr/include/glib-1.2/
or
/usr/include/glib-2.0/

Is there a symlink to one of these from
/usr/include/glib/

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    9 2004-08-11 23:06 /usr/include/glib -> glib-1.2/

Then glib-config would be in /usr/bin
/usr/bin/glib-config
/usr/bin/glibconfig -> /usr/bin/glib-config

> Clearly the rpm
> wasn't looking in the right places because the suse filesystem is a bit
> different,

Correct.

> Before I try getting some help out of Novell,

There have been discussions about other errors raised when installing on SuSE
9.2 on the gnucash-user mailing list. Generally, they haven't involved actual
errors in the SuSE RPM.

> has anyone else come
> across this problem, and is there a "simple" fix for it?  I found some
> info on the net that suggested that this was a gtk+/gtk 2.0
> incompatibility.

URL?
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2002-April/msg00178.html ?

That's old. It does, however, hint that you NEED glib-2/gtk-2 devel packages.
Did you install those? Doesn't sound like you did.

BTW. PLEASE be precise when quoting problems. That message relates to
"problem from glib/gtk+ 1.2 to glib/gtk+ 2.0.x"

It's not gtk+/gtk 2.0 as you quote, it involves glib and glib-2 as well.

> I'm a bit reluctant to spend
> even more time downloading other packages that will have further
> dependencies that will lead to the need to download further packages...

Then move to Debian!
:-)

--

Neil Williams