Connecting to a postgresql Database on the Local machine

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 19:44:27 EST 2005

<quote who="Josh Sled">
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 09:32, Vincent Ngundi wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to ask, has anyone ever successfully used GnuCash with a
>> PostgreSQL database in Linux(I'm using Redhat 9).
>
> I would venture to guess a very small number of people.
>

>> I keep getting the following error when I try to save as either:
>>
>> postgres://localhost/template1?user="username"
>> postgres://localhost/template1"
>
> That sounds like a funny name for a gnucash database...
>
> How did you create 'template1'?
>
> What is in the table 'gncVersion'?
>

>> Please help me out!
>
> The postgres backend isn't really supported.  Specifically, none of the
> active devs use it, it doesn't support all the features of GnuCash
> [scheduled transactions and business objects especially], and we intend
> to replace it.
>
> The best help you're going to get is from yourself and the sources.
>
> ...jsled

Don't use template1--that's the default database Postgresql creates.  Use
the name of a database that does not exist, and let Gnucash create the
database internally.  Connecting to an existing empty database (i.e., a
database that does not contain any Gnucash tables) is not supported and
will generate that (somewhat deceptive) error.

The Postgresql backend is not under active development.  E.g., it does not
support scheduled transactions or any of the business functionality.

ciao,

--
Matthew Vanecek
except me.