Connecting to a postgresql Database on the Local machine

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Mar 26 15:55:02 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 14:59, ted creedon wrote:

> 1. What business functionality is not supported with postgresql?

All of it.

> 2. The "not under active development" comment seems to conflict with e-mails
> by others.

The interface you are attempting to use is not under active development.

The desire and intent is to use another means (generically connecting
QOF to a DB backend) to provide database support.

This will require that scheduled transactions, at least but primarily,
be "QOF"-ized; the business and other engine datatypes are already.

> 3. I hope the relational database interface will not be intentionally
> disabled because:
> A. Using a relational database should force a decent object oriented data
> design upon the developers.

I've seen horrendous data-models that are still relational, and
appropriate object models that don't translate easily into relational.

> B. Gnucash's flexibility would be severely compromised.

What do you mean?

> 4. I have a Microsoft's Visioin 2003 Enterprise ORM design package installed
> on one of my windows boxes and would be glad to hand enter or otherwise
> participate in an object oriented data design workshop. (I actually have the
> Visio reverese engineered gnucash/postgresql data design but haven't had
> time to study it).

What would this accomplish?

> 5. Suggest reading "Informational Modeling and Relational Databases",
> Halpin, isbn 1 55860 672 6.

The problem here isn't that the gnucash developers are stupid or
ignorant about how to use a database; it's strictly a matter of
development resources.  We don't need a picture of what the tables do or
should look like; we need code to get it all working.  Moreover, we need
the Gnome2 port finished first.

...jsled