Connecting to a postgresql Database on the Local machine

ted creedon tcreedon at easystreet.com
Sat Mar 26 16:33:25 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Sled [mailto:jsled at asynchronous.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 12:55 PM
To: ted creedon
Cc: 'GnuCash'
Subject: RE: Connecting to a postgresql Database on the Local machine

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 14:59, ted creedon wrote:

> 1. What business functionality is not supported with postgresql?

All of it.

<<<<<<
So well documented....

> 2. The "not under active development" comment seems to conflict with
> e-mails by others.

The interface you are attempting to use is not under active development.

The desire and intent is to use another means (generically connecting QOF to
a DB backend) to provide database support.

This will require that scheduled transactions, at least but primarily, be
"QOF"-ized; the business and other engine datatypes are already.

<<<Any written documentation?...

> 3. I hope the relational database interface will not be intentionally
> disabled because:
> A. Using a relational database should force a decent object oriented
> data design upon the developers.

I've seen horrendous data-models that are still relational, and appropriate
object models that don't translate easily into relational.

<<<<<<<<<<<
That's unfortunate. My experience is just the opposite. In fact my summer
interns are not allowed to code anything without:
1. User's manuals.
2. System Administrator's Manuals
3. Data Design

Done first....

> B. Gnucash's flexibility would be severely compromised.

What do you mean?

<<<<
If you have a decent data design published the back end is irrelevant..

> 4. I have a Microsoft's Visioin 2003 Enterprise ORM design package
> installed on one of my windows boxes and would be glad to hand enter
> or otherwise participate in an object oriented data design workshop.
> (I actually have the Visio reverese engineered gnucash/postgresql data
> design but haven't had time to study it).

What would this accomplish?

<<<<<<<
Arcane things like documentation, correctness....
I know, "Its written in C and Scheme. Its self documenting."
<<<<<<

> 5. Suggest reading "Informational Modeling and Relational Databases",
> Halpin, isbn 1 55860 672 6.

The problem here isn't that the gnucash developers are stupid or ignorant
about how to use a database; it's strictly a matter of development
resources.  We don't need a picture of what the tables do or should look
like; we need code to get it all working.  Moreover, we need the Gnome2 port
finished first.

Good luck. At least I know what I'm working with. A good prototype with some
interesting ideas.

Generally speaking I budget 18% of a project budget for coding and testing.
Unfortunately the rule of 10 doesn't apply here since this is a non
commercial project.

tedc

...jsled