EURO

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 28 18:32:10 EST 2005

Quoting "Stewart V. Wright" <swright at physics.adelaide.edu.au>:

> G'day Derek,
>
> * Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> [050328 15:51]:
> > Run in a locale where the Euro is the locale currency.  Make sure you run
> in an
> > ISO-8859-1 locale and not a UTF-8 locale.  You can only get _ONE_ currency
> > character, the current locale currency.  Everything else will use the
> currency
> > mnemonic.
>
> Is this a fundamental issue in how GnuCash is written, or is it a
> Gnome 1 problem that will magically be fixed in the Gnome 2 port?

It's a fundamental issue with how GnuCash determines the currency symbol, which
is by looking it up in the locale.  AFAIK there's no interface to lookup a
currency symbol based upon a currency mnemonic.

Even more so, I don't believe gnucash SHOULD do that.  What happens if you have
CAD and USD (both of which use the symbol '$')?  If GnuCash always used the
symbol, how would you differentiate CAD from USD accounts?