EURO

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Mar 28 18:46:00 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 18:32, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Even more so, I don't believe gnucash SHOULD do that.  What happens if you have
> CAD and USD (both of which use the symbol '$')?  If GnuCash always used the
> symbol, how would you differentiate CAD from USD accounts?

C$ or CA$ vs (US)$.

I guess there could be a "qualified symbol" which is unique across
locales and an "unqualified symbol" which may not be.  Sometimes, they
are one in the same (Euro, Pound, Yen, ...).

But we should use the right currency symbols when possible, and
disambiguate the cases that need it.  The easy way out would be to
qualify them all, but -- as you say -- better to leave unqualified the
symbol of the current locale (iff there is only one).

...jsled