EURO

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Mar 28 19:32:56 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 19:02, Stewart V. Wright wrote:

> Doesn't this then require that someone in the GnuCash family keep
> abreast of each and every currency and when a country changes update a
> list of "similar symbols"?

Well, we do already keep the ISO4217 currency list... with a "unitname"
field, which only has a few distinct values (dollar, franc, yen,
shilling, pound, peso, ...).

There's a pretty straightforward and small equivalence mapping of these
into symbols, and we always have a sane fallback.

http://www.ratesfx.com/resources/symbols.html

With respect to keeping it up to date, these things simply don't change
very often ... but, yes, it does.  So, not too much of a stretch.

> Whilst I would like the symbols for the various currencies, it seems
> to be a whole lot of work that is only vaguely related to GnuCash.  I
> guess this is something that Gnome could use as an additional
> library/option.

Maybe not vaguely related, since currency/commodity is pretty important
to a financial app. :)  But, yeah, it could probably be factored out.
At the same time, this is one of those things small enough that the data
is more important than the code-library around it.  It may be simpler to
just host the data + schema + docs (+converters, +...) on a well-known
URL which behaves well with respect to HTTP cache-control headers...

Anyways, it's all just talk; whomever writes it can do whatever they
like. :)

> Just my unenlightened (USD$)0.02 ((AUD)$0.026, £0.011, ¥2.15) worth.

Heh. :)

...jsled