Processing Customer Payments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 31 14:36:39 EST 2005

Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:

> The point still remains though. Your credit company, irrespective of how they
> charge interest, always sets your payment against the oldest transaction
> until that transaction is paid in full and then moves on to the next. It does
> NOT try to attribute your payments against individual transactions. It works
> on the running balance.

Actually, that's not necessarily true.  I've got credit cards where different
kinds of charges are billed at different interest rates.  Payments are always
applied to the lowest-rate charges first, regardless of when they were made.
So indeed, payments ARE made against specific purchases.

This just proves that there is no one way it is done.  You are ALL right :)
Let's move on:  at this point GnuCash does not provide a mechanism to apply a
payment to a specific invoice.  I've received a patch that is halfway there but
still has a number of UI issues to get worked out.  Also, I don't particularly
like some of the API work they did, either.  So I haven't applied it.

I also haven't had the time to rework the patch myself....  Check the -patches
archives if you want to find the original and re-work it :)