Multiple books

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Wed May 11 13:07:46 EDT 2005

Ian Leonard wrote:

> Not being an accountant, I am struggling for the correct terminology
> here, but I have two 'books' my small business accounts and my personal
> accounts. I don't want to keep a full set of personal accounts but there
> are a number of things that are common between the two, for example
> transfers of money and splitting of phone bills.

Are you using two or more checking accounts? If you are using only 1
then you'll have to maintain one set of books with a chart of accounts
that includes both business and personal accounts.

> What's the correct way to do this?

your accountant will tell you to maintain two sets of books if you can.
see above.

If I set up a different file for
> each, can I transfer between the two?

Don't know, probably not.

Can I set up another set of
> accounts in my business for this purpose?

What I do, as one of my businesses has some mixed transactions is the
following.

1) I maintain totally separate accounts for business and personal. In
fact my personal books are maintained by a commercial product that I
can't convince my wife to ditch ;P

2) When I have a bill that is split between personal and business, I
make two entries -- one in my personal accounts and one in my business
accounts.

3) when I pay the bill, I write two checks. one from my personal account
and one from my business account.

4) salary payments to me are an expense of the business (its a us corp.)
of the business and are income in the personal accounts. profit payments
(woo hoo!) are an equity item in the business (Equity:Owner's
Capital:draw) and income in the personal accounts.

This all requires lots of data entry (though I've automated some of it),
but is the "right" way for me. hth

Andrew