Proper way to correct a payment (business)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 13 13:10:57 EDT 2005

E Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> writes:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:42, Laurent Duperval wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed that I entered one of my customer's payments incorrectly.
>> What is the proper procedure to make the correction?
>>
>> Thanks,

> I've made plenty of mistakes, and I have found that deleting the payment from
> Accounts Receivable (or Payable) allows you to start again. Hopefully you
> could edit from there too. I cannot say if this is the 'proper procedure' -
> someone else will tell us if not
> Liz

Delete and recreate is generally the correct method, but you may need
to also delete from other "balancing" transactions in your A/R
account.  This depends on whether you erred too-large or too-small,
and whether you've processed other payments from the same customer.