help with foriegn currency

Rob Latham rob at terizla.org
Sun May 15 13:18:21 EDT 2005

Hi
I'm going on a trip and recently purchased some foriegn currency.  I'm
trying to figure out how to best record this in gnucash.

I've read the "multiple currencies" chapter
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/chapter10.html
and saw this note, which sounds like what I want to do:

	You could also setup just a single Starting Balance account
	and use a currency transfer to populate the "different
	currency" accounts. However, this is more advanced option,
	which is explain in a later section.

I may have missed it, but I could not find the "later section".

I added an exchange entry in the price editor,  but when I make a
transfer from my USD denominated account (dollars) into the GBP
denominated account (pounds), the transaction shows up with a blank
ammount in the pounds account.

I bet i'm missing something.  Any hints?

Thanks
==rob

--
Rob Latham                                        Chicago, IL USA