identifying sales tax

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sun May 15 21:08:01 EDT 2005

you could simply run a profit & loss or income statement and use the
options, select only the tax accounts (and probably their corresponding
parent account, but uncheck the "show all sub-accounts" box) then it
should show a total.

I have some mis-givings about this idea though. It creates a massive
amount of extra accounts just for tracking the sales tax. I think you're
better off doing the double entry idea:

(quoting my self here)

 >3, or this wacky one. create both an income and an expense account
 >called "Sales tax". then enter your transaction like this (assuming a
 >check)
 >        credit        debit
 >Groceries    108.25
 >checking            108.25
 >sales tax in    8.25
 >sales tax out            8.25
 >
 >that way you record 108.25 for groceries expense and 8.25 for sales
tax >expense, but you offset with the income expense.

that way you've only got a couple extra accounts. seems simpler to me.

.02 units of local currency.