Building on Mac OS X with Fink

Michael D. Crawford crawford at goingware.com
Sat May 21 14:11:36 EDT 2005

Greetings,

Today is the day I am fully committing to GnuCash.  I registered my
corporation with the Province of Nova Scotia so I could open a local
business checking account into which I deposited my first paycheck for
my first Canadian client.  GoingWare Inc. is now a multinational
corporation with one employee.  As I'm from the U.S. I need GnuCash's
multiple currency support.

I'm folling the instructions on this page to install on Mac OS X 10.3.7:

Gnucash with GTK Themes on Mac OS X
http://www.edmz.org/archive/2004/06/30/macosx/gnucash-with-gtk-themes-on-mac-os-x.html

It is Google's #1 hit for "Mac OS X" gnucash.

What I didn't realize is that by using unstable, and running
SelfUpdate-CVS, I'd be compiling everything from source.  It's been
working for hours, and seems to be going well so far, but it's pretty
scary to contemplate trusting my company's vital financial records and
the livelihood of my little family to something I just compiled myself.
  I'd be happier installing binaries that have been tested.

Even if the source code I'm building is known to work well, I'm not so
sure my particular *build* will be good.

So my question for you is, is it really *necessary* for me to install
the unstable gnucash - and all its unstable dependencies - just to use
it?  Would I be better off starting over and not using unstable?  There
is a stable CVS version.

The package information at http://fink.sourceforge.net/ says that for
10.3, gnucash is available in the following versions:

1.8.9-14 stable
1.8.9-17 CVS stable
1.8.11-1 CVS unstable

So it seems that by using unstable, I get 1.8.11 rather than 1.8.9.  Is
that going to be an important different for me, worth the risk?  Note
that I need all the small business features I can get.

Looking at the announcements for 1.8.10 and 1.8.11, it looks like many
bugs were fixed in 1.8.10, so maybe I really *am* better off with
unstable.  Also 1.8.9 is over a year old.

I also discovered a different set of OS X installation instructions:

http://homepage.mac.com/elliottmce/gnucash_guide/

Thank you

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford at goingware.com

     "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
      out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
      be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
      -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
         http://www.goingware.com/reputation/