OOo Spreadsheet for Canadian Payroll Tax

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Sat May 21 20:05:24 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-21-05 at 15:18 -0300, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Friends
>
> Because Gnucash is not yet able to automatically calculate payroll tax
> withholding, the other night I worked out The Mother of All Spreadsheets
> in OpenOffice to calculate Nova Scotia/Canada Revenue withholding
> according to the instructions found in Revenue Canada's booklet T4127
> "Payroll Deductions for Computer Programs":
>
> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/topics/payroll/formulas-e.html
>
> A nice feature of my spreadsheet is that I can fiddle with my gross pay
> and the taxes and net pay update instantly, so I can zero in on a
> take-home pay that covers the personal bills I need to pay while leaving
> as much as possible in the business.  Doing that with the withholding
> tables is very laborious.  I'm pretty sure any self-employed person on
> the list will agree with me that this is a nice feature to have.
>
> The spreadsheet does the job so far, but it's not really that good.  I
> think others would find it helpful if I gave it a good polish and put it
> on my website under the GPL.  Maybe I can also do the other provinces
> and territories at the same time, with one spreadsheet page for each
> province.
>
> It even looks up the TD1 exemption by employee name - but it would be
> better if it could do so by employee number, in such a way that the
> names of my wife and myself weren't hardcoded into it.
>
> I had a much more primitive spreadsheet that calculated IRS and Maine
> Revenue withholding, but it wasn't that good and required a lot of
> manual fiddling.  Now that I finally figured out how to look up the tax
> rate in a tax table using the OOo spreadsheet's IF function, I expect I
> can make a US version too, but I don't think I'm going to try to cover
> all the US states!
>
> Ever Faithful,
>
> Mike

Hey! :) I have been extending mine for a year now.  I have the t4b
sheet, personnel, main payroll sheet, check print sheet (with 2 stubs).
I never did get around to plugging in the formulae to calculate the tax
automatically.  I have been using the laptop and winXP and using Revenue
Canada's Java tables on disk app to do the calculations.  Perhaps we
could combine features from both to make it more complete.

I'll create a blank one and I can post it on my webspace or email it to
you.

And yes, Neil, I wanted to  extend it for import to gnucash as well.
--
Brian Dolbec <brian_dolbec at telus.net>