OOo Spreadsheet for Canadian Payroll Tax

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Sun May 22 02:29:47 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-21-05 at 22:53 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Brian Dolbec wrote:
> > <<snip snap>>
> >

> > I think the QIF export is probably best.  1) there is already QIF import
> > in gnucash.  2) There is already a QIF export macro for OO.o
> >
> > <<more snippage>>
>
> > * setup the data for QIF export.
> >

> my payroll spreadsheet (Washington, USA) has a page in it called
> "export" that I use to do the qif thing. it is linked to all the other
> pages (I have one page per employee that includes their printable
> paystub and all their data for the year) and I simply copy the columns
> out, paste them into "payrollexport.csv", save-as, set the export
> parameters by deleting the quotes and comma delimiters and its done.
> import works flawlessly for a payroll of 15 part-full time employees
> with full double-entry tracking of ongoing payroll liabilities etc.
>
> IIRC, the existing Oo.o export to .qif script was very 1 dimensional and
> not suited to more complex information, but I didn't look much as the
> above simple export is really too easy...
>
> I know you (Michael) are headed down the road to the spreadsheet idea,
> but I want to throw something out there. I have been pondering writing a
> simple payroll program for my use that would have a couple of "generic"
> tax data structures that could be tailored to a variety of uses. I
> envision a flat tax type, a regressive take type withmultiple brackets
> (US income) and flat tax w/ wage base (US social security and many
> unemployment taxes). My thought was, since there are too many
> jurisdictions to mess with writing for everyone, just develop some
> generic types that the user would then provide the information for --
> tax rates, limits, wage bases, etc. and could customize the program for
> local use probably anywhere in the world. This program would also
> ultimately export to .qif making it usable for just about any accounting
> package out there.
>
> Anyone interested in this idea?

Yes, Very much  so.   As I get more and more done in the spreadsheet,
the more I would like to have a dedicated program that could be
localized like you mentioned with tax rates etc..

I have thought that it could be designed as a plugin module for gnucash.
That way it could be fully integrated with gnc's database, etc..  That
way it also would not be installed with the base package for the
home/non business users.

--
Brian Dolbec <brian_dolbec at telus.net>