OOo Spreadsheet for Canadian Payroll Tax

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sun May 22 01:53:29 EDT 2005

Brian Dolbec wrote:
> <<snip snap>>
>

> I think the QIF export is probably best.  1) there is already QIF import
> in gnucash.  2) There is already a QIF export macro for OO.o
>
> <<more snippage>>

> * setup the data for QIF export.

my payroll spreadsheet (Washington, USA) has a page in it called
"export" that I use to do the qif thing. it is linked to all the other
pages (I have one page per employee that includes their printable
paystub and all their data for the year) and I simply copy the columns
out, paste them into "payrollexport.csv", save-as, set the export
parameters by deleting the quotes and comma delimiters and its done.
import works flawlessly for a payroll of 15 part-full time employees
with full double-entry tracking of ongoing payroll liabilities etc.

IIRC, the existing Oo.o export to .qif script was very 1 dimensional and
not suited to more complex information, but I didn't look much as the
above simple export is really too easy...

I know you (Michael) are headed down the road to the spreadsheet idea,
but I want to throw something out there. I have been pondering writing a
simple payroll program for my use that would have a couple of "generic"
tax data structures that could be tailored to a variety of uses. I
envision a flat tax type, a regressive take type withmultiple brackets
(US income) and flat tax w/ wage base (US social security and many
unemployment taxes). My thought was, since there are too many
jurisdictions to mess with writing for everyone, just develop some
generic types that the user would then provide the information for --
tax rates, limits, wage bases, etc. and could customize the program for
local use probably anywhere in the world. This program would also
ultimately export to .qif making it usable for just about any accounting
package out there.

Anyone interested in this idea?