OOo Spreadsheet for Canadian Payroll Tax

Brian Dolbec brian_dolbec at telus.net
Sat May 21 21:59:06 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-21-05 at 21:41 -0300, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> > And yes, Neil, I wanted to  extend it for import to gnucash as well.
>
> It shouldn't be hard to present a final result in such a way that the
> page can be exported as tab or comma-delimited text, and then directly
> imported into GnuCash, perhaps after being massaged into XML or QIF by a
> simple Perl or Python program.
>
> Does OpenOffice have any facilities for programming in some kind of
> scripting language?

Yes :)   Look under Tools => Macro.  There is even a built-in Macro
editor.

I found a OO.o macro for exporting QIF, but I have not used it on the
payroll sheets yet.

> I think that if I and whoever else wants to help do a good enough job at
> creating and standardizing the spreadsheets, it wouldn't be very
> difficult to convince GnuCash's developers to import  the latest payroll
> directly, by interpreting the OpenOffice spreadsheet XML format directly.
>
> All OpenOffice document formats are small directory heirarchies
> containing several XML files, which have been compressed with zip to
> save space and transform the directory tree into a single file.
>
> Mike

I think the QIF export is probably best.  1) there is already QIF import
in gnucash.  2) There is already a QIF export macro for OO.o

Some of the things I need to do to my payroll spreadsheet is:
* add vacation pay calculations.  Personally I want to change Our
payroll to pay the vacation pay on every check.  We just have several
part-time employees.

* update the T4b print sheet to use totals from the main sheet.  I used
the data sort/total routines to generate a summary sheet for this past
year's T4 slips.

* add the TD1 column to the personnel sheet.

* add the auto tax calculations.

* setup the data for QIF export.

I'll try to work on it some tonight, then post a link to it so you can
have a look at it, etc..

--
Brian Dolbec <brian_dolbec at telus.net>