loans

JBW figure8cutty at bigpond.com
Mon May 16 00:48:32 EDT 2005

I'm trying to figure out how to handle loans in GnuCash. I've read the
tutorial but the method described does not really suit me.
The main problem is that it says Interest should be registered as an
expense. This however is not the case with me. Interest charges and loan
repayments are separate transactions of differing values. My expense is
the loan repayment, not the interest charge.

For example, on the 10th April I want to move $500 from my Asset named
"Bank Account" to reduce my Liability named "Mortgage Balance". But I
ALSO want this amount to show up as an Expense named "Mortgage
Repayment". This little equation has three sides, thus I am having
trouble dealing with it.

Then on the 20th April I want the Liabilty named "Mortgage Balance" to
increase by $450 (interest charges levied), but there is not really a
balancing account that I can see. The balance just increases when the
interest charge is levied against my mortgage account. There is no
Expense involved.

Does Equity somehow play a part in handling the transactions in the way
I want?
How do I deal with these transactions in the way I want?