Failing automake when trying to build version from CVS

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 07:17:26 EST 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:45 am, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:58, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
> > What will then happen if i'm translating on the 1.9 version, and they
> > will go to the next version? Just discard the translation?
>
> I can feel your frustration here.

It's understandable but, unfortunately, the conversion from 1.8 may be one of
those occasions when the frustration must be faced.

Future releases cannot be determined in advance - we don't know yet how much
work might be involved when Gnome moves to v3. During the life of gnucash2,
there are likely to be few changes to the translations between releases, what
happens after the life of gnucash2 nobody can yet say.

(I can't believe we're talking about Gnome3 when we're not ready to release
for Gnome2!!)

Basically, Tor, don't worry about the future beyond 1.9. Work to 1.9 using SVN
and stick with it during the life of gnome2 because changes will be small.
We'll face anything else when we come to it.

Whatever you do, please ditch CVS. By all means keep the 1.8 translation
locally as a reference but translate the SVN 1.9 code.

> No, you wouldn't just discard the
> translation, because those same terms are going to come up again,

Yes, but not necessarily in the same strings or the same files as in 1.8.
gettext relies on the same string in the same location of the same file -
it'll try it's best with small changes but there are simply too many in the
move from 1.8 to Gnome2. That's why it's taken so long.

Subsequent changes are likely to be a lot smaller.

> and
> again. There will be even more to translate.

There will also be portions of 1.8 that no longer need to be translated.

--

Neil Williams