Failing automake when trying to build version from CVS

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 16 17:43:06 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:06:14PM +0100, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
| Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
| >On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:58, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
| >
| >>What will then happen if i'm translating on the 1.9 version, and they
| >>will go to the next version? Just discard the translation?
| >>

| >I can feel your frustration here. No, you wouldn't just discard the
| >translation, because those same terms are going to come up again, and again.
| >There will be even more to translate.
| >
| >Don't be discouraged, but continue slowly.
| >
| >Liz
| >

| So if I understand correctly here, I'll just continue as the translation
| howto says, and try to build the 1.8, then send the translation files in
| a email as described, and it will be added to the 1.9 version?
|
| This is what Derek Atkins wrote from one of the previous mails in this
| thread:
|
| "There's little point in translating 1.8 -- there wont be another
| 1.8 release.  You might want to wait until the 1.9.0 alpha release."
|
| So this is then partially not correct?

Yes - what you wrote is partially not correct.  Maybe I can help
clarify.  Some version changes are larger and more significant than
others.  The 1.8 -> 1.9 change is extremely large.  This is why you
are recommended to not work on 1.8.  However, 1.9.0 to 1.9.1 to 1.9.2
and so on will be much smaller.  Due to the difference in the
magnitude of change between these sets of release (1.8->1.9 vs
1.9.0->1.9.1) any translation work done for 1.8 is not likely to be
very applicable to 1.9, but translation work done for 1.9.0 will be
apply to 1.9.1 with few, if any, changes.

HTH,
-D

--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org