Failing automake when trying to build version from CVS

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 07:06:19 EST 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 11:06 am, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
> >I can feel your frustration here. No, you wouldn't just discard the
> >translation, because those same terms are going to come up again, and
> > again. There will be even more to translate.

Not quite true - the content of lots of strings may well be similar but they
won't be the same and even if just the formatting (whitespace) of a string
has changed, the translation may still have to be reviewed. There are so many
files that have changed in G2, even if a string is the same it may not be in
the same file or the same location.

For a translation to survive from 1.8 to the next release, it has to be the
same string in the same location in the same file. There aren't many of
those. gettext will try to use fuzzy logic to work out the new location if
it's just moved a few lines but it's not a satisfactory method for the number
of strings that have changed.

> So if I understand correctly here, I'll just continue as the translation
> howto says, and try to build the 1.8,

No, I'd recommend leaving 1.8 well alone. Switch to SVN.

> then send the translation file in
> a email as described, and it will be added to the 1.9 version?

That's only as a last resort where no updated translation exists - there are
likely to be a) lots of messages that are translated but unused and b) lots
of messages that are untranslated and therefore appear in en_US.

> This is what Derek Atkins wrote from one of the previous mails in this
> thread:
>
> "There's little point in translating 1.8 -- there wont be another
> 1.8 release.  You might want to wait until the 1.9.0 alpha release."
>
> So this is then partially not correct?

Derek is absolutely correct. Little point in doing *anything* in the 1.8 tree
as it cannot be updated.

> I also asked here earlyer, is it possible for someone to send me a file
> for the norwegian translation

Download it using subversion - you'll have to switch over at some point
because CVS is dead as far as gnucash is concerned.

> , and I'll then work with this one, and
> then later on when I'll manage to build my own version ill start from
> the begining again (with the rest of the translation?)

That's a lot of wasted effort. Don't do anything in 1.8 - you'll only waste
your time.

--

Neil Williams