Newbies, account setup and manual reconciliation

Jeff Smith jeff at smithicus.com
Tue Nov 15 15:22:22 EST 2005

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. I assume you are manually entering a
> transaction when you pay your bill. Then later, when you download
> transactions, you get a duplicate of that transaction. Either one of
> these could be deleted. Reconciliation is unrelated. when you reconcile,
> you will mark whichever of these transactions is left. That is, when you
>  check off the transaction on your statement, you will check off the
> matching one in the account in gnucash. that's all there is to it. what
> am I missing in your question?

Actually, I don't do manual entries. At the end of each month, I
download the transaction records from my bank. Each month includes a
record of a payment to a credit card. (Call this the bank's record.)
Then, I download a set of transactions from my credit card company. 2 or
3 days after my bank shows the payment, my credit card company shows a
corresponding receipt of funds, which I will call the card's record.
(Why they don't show up on the same day is a matter for banking politics.)

So now I have two records of the same transaction, from both sides of
the fence. I was thinking that card's record should be treated simply as
a reconciling entry to match against the bank's record. Or am I missing
something?

--
Jeff Smith
Computer Science Dept.