CashFlow report with a month-by-month display?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Tue Nov 15 16:26:37 EST 2005

Jeff Smith wrote:
> As reported in an earlier email, I'm using GnuCash to try to get a
> handle on household spending. As part of that, I would dearly love to be
> able to generate a report that showed each of my expense categories and
> a month-by-month total for each.
>
> I understand that this could be done by exporting to an Excel
> spreadsheet, but I figure that if it's useful once, it will be useful
> regularly. And furthermore, if *I* find it useful, chances are that
> others will find it useful too.
>
> The existing Cashflow report does what I want, except that it only shows
> one period at a time. This isn't a complete enough picture for me to get
> a clear picture of the trends involved, so I'd like to turn it into a
> multi-column report that shows me each month in a separate column. (And
> printing out one report for each month in question seems a bit "brute
> force" to me.)
>
> Since I am not shy about having to write some script code, I figured
> that I would dig into the engine and try to create one based on the
> existing cashflow specification. But before I try that, I wondered if
> somebody might have already done this, or if perhaps there's a way to
> get what I want interactively, rather than going to code.

use a multi-column report (Reports -> Sample & Custom -> Custom
Multicolumn Report). It will come up blank. click the Options button
which allows you to set up how many columns/rows and what reports to put
in. Then after it rebuilds the report, there is a link to "Edit Options"
at the bottom of each column. Select that to adjust the date parameters
for each column. Its a pain as the whole rebuilds for each change, but
once it done and set up the way you like, its easy.