CashFlow report with a month-by-month display?

Jeff Smith jeff at smithicus.com
Tue Nov 15 15:42:21 EST 2005

As reported in an earlier email, I'm using GnuCash to try to get a
handle on household spending. As part of that, I would dearly love to be
able to generate a report that showed each of my expense categories and
a month-by-month total for each.

I understand that this could be done by exporting to an Excel
spreadsheet, but I figure that if it's useful once, it will be useful
regularly. And furthermore, if *I* find it useful, chances are that
others will find it useful too.

The existing Cashflow report does what I want, except that it only shows
one period at a time. This isn't a complete enough picture for me to get
a clear picture of the trends involved, so I'd like to turn it into a
multi-column report that shows me each month in a separate column. (And
printing out one report for each month in question seems a bit "brute
force" to me.)

Since I am not shy about having to write some script code, I figured
that I would dig into the engine and try to create one based on the
existing cashflow specification. But before I try that, I wondered if
somebody might have already done this, or if perhaps there's a way to
get what I want interactively, rather than going to code.

--
Jeff Smith
Computer Science Dept.