Oops. My bad (about reports)

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 18 18:13:01 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:11:06PM -0600, Jeff Smith wrote:
| I just figured something out. When I save a report, it gets loaded
| automatically the next time I run GC. Since the saved reports never
| showed up on a menu, and reopening the original report doesn't respect
| the changes I saved, I assumed the 'save' feature wasn't working. Seems
| like an odd way to handle things, but I can live with it.

There are two kinds of "saving" for reports.

One is to just not close the report.  A file in ~/.gnucash/books/
corresponds to your account file and saves the current state of the
UI -- that is the reports that are open and all their options.  Some
reports take a somewhat long time to process and thus leaving such
reports open can be inconvenient when you don't actually want to use
the report.

The other (which I just learned about yesterday) is to click the "Save
Report" button on the toolbar.  This records your options in
~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8.  At the next start those reports will
appear in the "Custom" menu.  As others have noted recently, be sure
to change the title/name of the report before saving it.  The
advantage here is that you can close the reports and gnucash will
start faster the next time.  Then when you want the report just choose
it from the custom menu and it will have all your preferred options.

-D

--
Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed.