Fwd: Re: gnucash NOT crashing now

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Sat Nov 19 23:16:34 EST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:40:35AM +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> Hi Beth,
>
> The behaviour you describe above already exists - other than the pretty
> dialogue box bit!

Oops, sorry if I wasn't clear.  I was referring to Derek's statement
that the "save report" button did not appear to have made it into
the G2 interface -- i.e. we're losing functionality.

If we truly are losing that functionality, I proposed making all
the reports save themselves automatically -- i.e. when you close
a report tab and then open that report from the menu again, it
comes up with the same options you had the last time you looked
at the report.  I'd love to know if that's a behavior other people
also like.

If we're not losing that functionality, but it's also not yet in
the interface, my e-mail was a proposal for that portion of the
interface which is perhaps more clear than the current "export"
button, "print" button and "Save Report" button.

i.e.

Existing Interface:
-------------------
Export button - saves a report as html
Print button - saves a report as pdf (or prints it)
Save report - saves the current report options

G2 interface proposal #1
------------------------
Save as... html - saves a report as html
Save as... pdf - saves a report as pdf
All report options are saved automatically, but no custom reports
are available.  (Avoids the bug)

G2 interface proposal #2
------------------------
Save as... html - saves a report as html
Save as... pdf - saves a report as pdf
Save as... custom report - saves a report's options to the custom
reports menu.

For both proposals, the existing "print" button functionality
remains the same.

> so I thing that the issue is what to call the "save Report" so that it is
>  more intuitive.  "Create custom report", or "save this report options as a
>  custom report" seem a bit wordy - maybe just some roll-over text to explain
>  what is happening a bit more explicitly?

I agree that the roll-over text should be cleaned up.
It currently says, "Save the current report in
~/.gnucash/saved-reports-1.8 so that they are accessible as menu
entries in the report menu.  Will go into effect at the next startup
of gnucash."

At a minimum I'd insert the word "options" so that we have
subject-verb agreement ;-)  -- "save the current report options..."

--Beth