Showing an investment as an expense in a report

Laurent Duperval lduperval at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 21 06:01:22 EST 2005

Hi,

I would like money put into a long-term education fund to show up as an
expense. But I also need it to show up as an asset. How can I do this?

What I tried doing is:

    * Add an expense in Expenses:Education:Fund
    * Add a transfer from the above to Assets:Long Term:Education Fund
    * Each month I add an expense to my education fund. Righ after that,
      I make a transfer from that expense to my Education fund.

When I show the report (the Expense piechart) the transaction set from
above doesn't show up, I.e., the net result is 0. This is logically
correct but it doesn't provide me with the information I need.

Can anyone offer a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Prenez la parole en public en étant         Speak to an audience while being
moins nerveux et plus convaincant!         less nervous and more convincing!
Éveillez l'orateur en vous!                    Bring out the speaker in you!

Information: laurent at duperval.com   http://www.duperval.com   (514) 902-0186