/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 10:48:33 EST 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 3:26 pm, Alpár Jüttner wrote:
> I can't understand. If a package maintainer manages to compile
> gnucash-1.8.12 on SuSE10.0, why can't I do it myself?
>
> Alpar

1. Package maintainers have access to tools that most users would not install.

2. Maintainers have knowledge of both the program (and it's language) and the
platform that make it easier for them to fix these problems.

3. Why would you want to compile it manually if a package exists?

4. If you are trying to compile 1.8 so that you can tweak the code or create a
translation or modify any part of the tree, you NEED to be using SVN and the
GnuCash2 codebase. CVS write access is closed, only SVN commits are accepted.

5. GnuCash is a complex build and, if this list is anything to go by, SuSE has
had it's share of packaging problems with 1.8 just as I've had problems on
OSX and Debian with Gnucash2.

6. There are so many changes from 1.8 to 2.0 that it simply isn't worth doing
anything more in 1.8. Please, if you're going to do anything in gnucash, do
it with SVN on the gnucash2 code.

Nothing in 1.8 is being developed, all effort is on G2. If bugs exist in 1.8
(and they certainly do), there's no point fixing them in 1.8 because the code
may have been completely rewritten in G2. Code modifications to 1.8 are
unlikely to be transferable to G2. The change from 1.8 to 2.0 is simply too
large.

--

Neil Williams