Showing an investment as an expense in a report

Laurent Duperval lduperval at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 22 09:56:05 EST 2005

Dale Alspach wrote:

>Could you explain why you want to show this as an expense? I see this
>education fund as an investment similar to retirement. Are you actually
>looking for cash flow information?

Maybe. I'm trying to categorize my expenses according to four
categories: necessities, entertainment, education and "just-in-case".
The cashflow report shows where money is going, but doesn't give the
percentages like the expense report does. That's really what I'm looking
for. I'm tracking all my other assets as you would normally track
assets. However, education is a bit different. Some of my education
expenses are for books, training, school fees, etc. Part of it is for
money I put aside for college and university, but for reporting reasons,
I want it to show up as an expense. I'm just wondering if there's a way
to do this, without messing up the accounting.

Prenez la parole en public en étant         Speak to an audience while being
moins nerveux et plus convaincant!         less nervous and more convincing!
Éveillez l'orateur en vous!                    Bring out the speaker in you!

Information: laurent at duperval.com   http://www.duperval.com   (514) 902-0186