Showing an investment as an expense in a report

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sat Nov 26 16:39:51 EST 2005

Laurent Duperval wrote:
> Dale Alspach wrote:
>
>> Could you explain why you want to show this as an expense? I see this
>> education fund as an investment similar to retirement. Are you actually
>> looking for cash flow information?
>>

> Maybe. I'm trying to categorize my expenses according to four
> categories: necessities, entertainment, education and "just-in-case".
> The cashflow report shows where money is going, but doesn't give the
> percentages like the expense report does. That's really what I'm looking
> for. I'm tracking all my other assets as you would normally track
> assets. However, education is a bit different. Some of my education
> expenses are for books, training, school fees, etc. Part of it is for
> money I put aside for college and university, but for reporting reasons,
> I want it to show up as an expense. I'm just wondering if there's a way
> to do this, without messing up the accounting.

I suspect not really. you're dealing with two distinct issues: ongoing
school-related expenses and investment of capital with an eye towards
using it for future education. They really are two different things from
an accounting perspective. You'll have to do what the rest of us do ( I
assume) and that is use both P&L reports and cashflow reports (along
with the all important balnce sheet) to get the real picture. There is
also some budgeting code in the G2 port that may be what you're lookng
for, but thats a ways away still.