gnucash roadahead

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Wed Oct 19 15:03:24 EDT 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:
>> How many programmers are really involved in
>> improving Gnucash? I noticed on a
>> cvs history page that there weren't a lot of
>> different people committing changes.
> Maybe 4-6.

I've had similar feelings to Brian--I thought gnucash was a really
impressive achievement five years ago, and assumed that, like other major
OSS packages (OpenOffice, Mozilla), would gradually iron out all of the
rough edges and gain critical mass until it reached a point where it could
beat the proprietary competition on all fronts. Instead, while a lot of
functionality has been added, it still feels almost as awkward to use is it
did five years ago.

One question I've been pondering for a while whether a significant cash
infusion could kick development up a notch. I understand that managing a
large project like this with 4-6 developers (all volunteer?) is a huge task,
especially given the difficulty of participating at a low level (i.e., I
can't spend an hour or two--or even a couple of days--looking at the code
and contribute some helpful patch in that time.)  Not that I have a large
amount of cash that I could contribute, but I imagine there are thousands or
tens of thousands of gnucash users out there who would certainly love to see
some major improvements... would a coordinated fundraising campaign that
might pay for a full-time developer be something worth pursuing?  Right now,
it looks like there's only $500 in the donations account.

Sorry if this has already been discussed ad nauseum--if so, please point me
in the right direction.

Adam