Compiling on 64 bit SuSE (Was Re: List OK?)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 6 00:02:08 EDT 2005

  Des Dougan <des at douganconsulting.com>,
  In a message on Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:58:41 -0700, wrote :

DD> On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 21:25 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
DD> > Quoting Des Dougan <des at DouganConsulting.com>:
DD> >
DD> >
DD> > > Well, I decided to press on. libltdl.so is a symbolic link to
DD> > > libltdl.so.1 in /usr/lib, so I created a new symbolic link to
DD> > > the /usr/lib64 directory. This got me further and carrying out the same
DD> > > steps again for subsequent links had "make" completing, apparently
DD> > > successfully. "make install" ran through, although it provided warnings
DD> > > about static libraries such as this example:
DD> >
DD> > I'm surprised that worked...
DD> >
DD> > > *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
DD> > > ../../../src/business/business-ledger/libgnc-business-ledger.la.
DD> > > *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
DD> > > *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
DD> > > *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
DD> > > *** But as you try to build a module library, libtool will still create
DD> > > *** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening application
DD> > > *** is linked with the -dlopen flag to resolve symbols at runtime.
DD> > >
DD> > > I therefore tries running gnucash, but got the following failure:
DD> > >
DD> > > des at sempron:~> gnucash
DD> > > ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
DD> > > ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/lib64/libgw-gnc.a: invalid
DD> > > ELF header"
DD> > >
DD> > > Can anyone offer any pointers to the cause of this?
DD> >
DD> > It built a static library instead of a shared library.  Gnucash can't handle
DD> > that.
DD>
DD> Yes, I Google'd and found a reference to this from last year. As I
DD> mentioned elsewhere, SuSE ships an x86_64 version, so they've obviously
DD> resolved this, but of course, they have a problem with importing OFX
DD> files, which I make use of.
DD>
DD> Is there any way to patch what they ship (assuming where the issue lies
DD> can be identified easily), or is my only viable option to re-install
DD> SuSE with the 32 bit version (which would be a fairly major pain)?

Presumably, there is a .srpm for what SuSE ships.  Get this and install
the srpm.  Under /usr/src/suse/SPECS will be a file named gnucash.spec.
Look at this file and check what they did -- in particularly see if they
patched the configure(.in) files and/or what options they passed to
./configure, particularly for the 64-bit build.  This should tell you
what you need to do to properly build a 64-bit version.