Tracking funds in a 401k

Robert C. Ramsdell III rcriii at ramsdells.net
Sat Sep 17 09:10:01 EDT 2005

I have a 401(k) account that I handle in a similar manner to some of the
other respondents.  When I get a paycheck, part of the split is a
transfer to Assets:Investments:401k.  The Assets:Investments:401k
account then has sub-accounts for each mutual fund I purchase, just like
any other investment account.

However, I make my 'purchases' when I get my quarterly statement (my
contributions accumulate in the top-level account until then).  When I
get my statement I add in the employer match (I count it as income) for
the quarter and then make the purchases.  I transfer the appropriate $
amount to the commodity sub-accounts, fill in the # of shares, and let
GnuCash calculate the purchase price (which ends up being an average for
the quarter).

It works for me, but is somewhat coarse-grained wrt time.

Robert

--
Robert C. Ramsdell III
5528 Middaugh Avenue