Tracking funds in a 401k

Derek Brader brader at ieee.org
Sat Sep 17 10:17:31 EDT 2005

Hi,

See below.

Bradford R. Bowman wrote:
> Ok, so you are doing a two step process.  One transfer from the salary
> transaction to the 403b, then a transfer of the two 403b contributions
> into the separate funds?  I guess the advantage of that is that you can
> easily apply the employer contribution cap.

I enter my 401k contributions as a two step process, but I don't think
that you should necessarily have to.  I do it because deductions from my
paycheck are not synchronized with contributions to my 401k.  My 401k
contributions go to a "holding account" each pay period (weekly), then
the funds get transferred to my 401k semimonthly.  My (complicated)
payroll transaction shows funds going to the holding account.  I make a
separate semimonthly transaction to show money going from the holding
account into the individual funds within my 401k.  If not for the added
complication of the holding account (and it sounds like you don't have
that complication), I might put splits for each fund right in my payroll
transaction.

A hidden benefit of using the holding account method is that I can
easily download monthly transaction history from my 401k fund servicer
(Fidelity).  That saves me from having to enter all the share price data
every time.  That, combined with using the autocompletion/duplication
feature for my paychecks, keeps the hand data-entry under control.  So
you might want to do a 2-step transfer for this type of convenience.

separate mutual fund-type account for each 401k fund.  Then set the
commodities properly (with the ticker symbols for each account) and you
should be able to download current price data with the price editor.

> Is the employer match properly treated as income? I recall reading a
> comment on the list from a recent search where it was suggested that it
> should be treated as coming from an equity type account. It is
> compensation, but not taxable for income tax purposes.

I'm not an accountant, but I don't think there's any reason to use an
equity account for your employer match.  Taxable or not, it is still
income.  Whether it is taxable depends on applicable tax laws, not on
the origin of the money.  Dividend income and capital gains within a
Roth IRA are not taxable, but I would still consider them income.
Dividend income and capital gains within your 401k are tax deferred, but
they are still income.  I think this sort of thing should be handled
with reports, not with the account structure.  Some expenses are
deductible and some are not, but you don't use equity accounts to show
this.  Use reports.

Feel free to disagree here if you think my understanding is confused...

Good luck,
~derek