Question on reports

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 27 10:00:57 EDT 2005

Bob Alexander wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> it has been a while now that I am happily using Gnucash to ENTER my
> expenses and other financial data.
>
> A few weeks ago my wife asked me to understand how much we have spent
> on our summer vacation.
>
> I tried with the reports but could not quite obtain what I needed.
>
> Here follows a description of what I'd like to achieve.
>
> Thank you for any help.
> Bob
>
> Vacations go from date X (5 Aug 2005) to date Y (25 Aug 2005).
> In this timeframe I would like a figure of how much I spent.
> Spending includes the credit cards and the ATM (I can ignore some cash
> I had in the beginnings).
> ATM shows up as withdrawals from my banking account.
> Credit cards have their own Liabilities account.
> What I spent through the credit card also shows up in the expense
> category and it's subcategories.
> Bars, pies etc. are not that interesting. I'd like to have numbers.

How about a cash flow report?

In the options, you can set which accounts to report on cash flows out.
I use this monthly for cash, checking, and credit accounts to see my
monthly expenses.  This should address the spending on your credit
cards.  Otherwise, my monthly report would show a huge cash flow to my
credit card, but nothing for things like gas and groceries.  By
selecting the credit card account, these show up the way I want them.
Since I pay off the cards every month, I feel that this is still cash flow.

In the options, you can select the start and end dates of your
vacation.  This would give you all the expenses during your vacation and
only during it.

Mark