Automated PDF bill and email

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Fri Apr 7 01:01:38 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 20:13 -0400, Laurent Duperval wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know (or has anyone devised) a way to generate a PDF and
> attach it to an email? I need to send email confirmations for people who
> register for my courses. Right now, I have to generate the PDF manually
> (usually through CUPS-PDF) then I have to launch my email client, attach
> the invoice and send it.

Laurent,

I have a two-stage process to create ans send PDFs, using KDE as my
desktop environment.  I create my invoice and print it to a PDF (I
replace the lpr command in the printer dialog to kprinter --stdin to
make use of the KDE engine which includes a PDF device).

I was able to find a python script for KDE which creates an additional
option on the Konqueror right mouse button "Actions" menu. It's called
"Attach to email" and opens (for me) an Evolution new mail window with
the file attached.

> It's very manually intensive. Does anyone have a better method?

If you use KDE and would like the Python script, let me know.

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support