Now how about tax tables

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 19 01:19:34 EDT 2006

Quoting Nancy Brose <InnerStrengthPilates at comcast.net>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> Um, I'd need to see your tax tables to see what it's doing.
>
> Sorry I can't do that I deleted them both and set up a whole new tax
> table.  Thats why I couldn't believe that the new invoice still used
> the old, deleted tax tables when calculating the tax for items billed
> on dates prior to the deletion.  Before I deleted them I had two tax
> tables, both with only one entry, one was for merchandise and the
> other was for service, the difference between percent tax was minimal
> so...  Now I only have one table.  From what I could tell the two tax
> tables were both being applied when I only chose one of them.  Either
> that or something else was happening to double the tax when it was
> applied.  I don't know if that is enough information for you.

Well, when you unpost an invoice you should have the choice of whether
to keep the existing tax tables or reset them.  (Maybe that's only in
1.9?)  i think in 1.8 it does keep the old tax tables..  But you could
unpost and then choose new ones.

I can't imagine how gnucash is applying multiple tax tables at once.
I'd certainly like to see a case where that's the case if you can
reproduce it.  The invoice should only post a single tax table.  I
highly doubt that both tax tables were applied...   Very hard to tell.

> Gnucash applies ALL taxes in a particular tax table,
>
> Yes, that I knew when setting up the tables, thats why I thought it
> would be OK to have more than one table to choose from.

It should definitely be okay to have more than one table to choose from.
I've tested this numerous times, and it always has done the right thing.

> and yes, it combines all taxes destined for a particular witholding
> account into a single
> Split.
>
> Hmm, I don't understand what that means.  Splits still confuse me.

A split is a part of a transaction.  A standard balanced transaction
has at least two splits.   A split has an account, an amount (in the
account commodity), and a value (in the transaction currency).   The
sum of all split values in a transaction equals 0.   I suggest reading
the gnucash concepts guide.

> Nancy

-derek