GnuCash 1.8.10 and AqBanking with HBCI

Bernat Tallaferro bernat.tallaferro at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 17 17:37:16 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get GnuCash to work with online banking using the HBCI
protocol through AqBanking. I'm on a debian-based system, and due to the
licensing issues with the libssl dependencies in gwenhywfar, there won't be
any debian packages with HBCI support (or at least that's how I understood
it). The  only way to get this to work on my system, then, is to compile
from source. So far, I've managed to compile

  aqbanking-2.0.0
  gwenhywfar-2.2.0
  libofx-0.8.0
  ktoblzcheck-1.10

successfully on my Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 system, but the actual questions I've
got are related to GnuCash. What I'm trying to do is to recompile the
sources of the gnucash debian package that is available on the repositories
in order to activate the --enable-hbci option. The version is
gnucash-1.8.10-12.

After running ./configure with the appropriate flags:

  ./configure --disable-static --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--libdir=/usr/lib/gnucash --enable-ofx --enable-hbci
--disable-error-on-warning

I get the following warning

  configure: warning: ****** ghttp does not have SSL support.

I read in an old post on the German user's list that I shouldn't worry about
that, that ghttp has no relationship to HBCI support and it is rather a
leftover of previous features that are not used at the moment. That's all
fine, but the thing is, the message was from 2006-02-24, so I don't know if
that istill applies, i.e. whether I can still ignore this warning message
today.

Therefore my questions are:

1.- Given my configuration and versions of the given applications, can the
warning message be ignored for GnuCash 1.8.10 without compromising security?

2.- Are there any known critical problems with the use of HBCI in GnuCash
1.8.10? I mean, should I stick to this stable release or use another one
(I'm basically only using it because it is the one from the repositories and
it is easy to resolve the compilation-time dependencies and recompile)?

3.- Related to question 2, I get the following errors when running make for
GnuCash 1.8.10:
  ../.libs/libgncmod-hbci.so: undefined reference to
`AB_Banking_GetWizardPath'
  ../.libs/libgncmod-hbci.so: undefined reference to
`AB_JobSingleTransfer_GetMaxPurposeLines'
I haven't got round to investigate further whether that is a problem with
gnucash or aquabanking, but should I bother trying to solve this or is it
rather a known problem and should just try to compile  for example
gnucash-1.8.12?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.