account types for investment gains and losses

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Mon Aug 7 21:27:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 18:24 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 07/08/06 Derek Atkins said:
>
> > Nothing.  Until they are realized there's no entries into your
> > datafile except PriceDB entries.  The reports will tell you your
> > current holding value, but there IS no gain/loss until you sell.
>
> Ok, that makes sense. I'm trying to add my mutual funds via the price editor,
> but it's insisting on a stock ticker symbol and to my knowledge, there isn't
> one. What should I enter for say, this mutual fund?
>
> http://globefunddb.theglobeandmail.com/gishome/plsql/igf.fund_pro?fundsymbol=ALMOAPAA&iaction=Get+Fund+Profile

You can enter whatever you want, it makes no difference to GnuCash.  On
the other hand, it does make a difference if you want to automatically
retrieve stock quotes from the internet because the specified ticker
symbol is passed to Finance::Quote as part of the retrieval process.  On
the gripping hand, there's no quote source for retrieving quotes from
theglobeandmail.com so that doesn't really matter.

David

P.S. I'd use ALMOAPAA as the symbol in case someone eventually provides
F::Q support for theglobeandmail.com.