auto completion

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 9 18:09:25 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:13:42PM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 21:51, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>

> > I'm referring to the description field that is autocompleted in the ledger.
> > I said vendor because most of the time I'm entering a receipt for something
> > I purchased.
> >
> > Mike
>
> If I can chip in with a thought...
>
> Mike,
>
> do you mean that you have two transactions, along the lines of:

> Memo: bought some books
> CreditCard1		25.00
> Expense:Books		25.00
>
> then later,
> Memo: they also sell artist materials
> PettyCash		8.50
> Expenses:PaintBrush	8.50
>
> ??
>
> If so, then next time you buy a book, presumably using eg. your checking
> account, you want an auto complete?
>
> How about this work-around...
> Start in the CretitCard1 ledger, and then alter the account to match where the
> transaction actually took place....
>
> That may not be very clear, but if you start in the credit card account, you
> get the auto-complete, and then alter the split line which refers to the
> credit card to be the account you actually used.  I'm sure if you have a go,
> it will make more sense than my words... ;-)

fwiw, I've used this technique in the past, but it can cause problems
in that the transaction won't always scrub correctly leaving you with
either an unbalanced transaction or an Orphan-USD account. I haven't
tested that in 2.0 to see if it still does. my recollection is that
you have to make sure the transaction is fully balanced before
entering it... the automatic adjustment of the parent account didn't
always work properly. ymmv.

also, Mike, are you referring to something like this?

Desc. Books-r-us
Memo. bought some books
CreditCard1 25.00
Expenses:Books 25.00

and then when in checking account having Books-r-us pull up the same
info but substituting the current account, such as?

Desc. Books-r-us
Memo. bought some more books with a check this time.
checking 15.00
expenses:books 15.00

is this what you're after?